Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Library Field Trips

Way back in the beginning of the school year Ally's teacher had mentioned that they would be taking a field trip to the library near the end of the school year.  During our first parent teacher conference I told her I volunteer at the library and I would love to help plan the field trip.  
In April I started to work on making the field trip a reality.  I worked out a schedule with our librarian and the teachers organized their end.  After a lot of bureaucratic hoop jumping and paperwork with the county for the activity room and the park we were good to go.  Word got around to the other Kindergarten and T-K classes and they wanted to do a field trip as well.  We ended up have two different field trips for 4 classes. 

It was a lot of work but I was more than happy to show all these kids, parents and teachers, how wonderful our library is.   The first field trip was with Mrs. Carter's T-Kers and Mrs. Gary's K-1 class. We started off in the activity room where they got to make their own bookmarks.  

Next the kids were divided up into small groups to explore the library.  I  had set up stations all around the library so the kids could see some of the different parts in our library.  One station was the front desk where all the kids introduced themselves to the librarian and got to ask him questions.  

I loved watching all the kids looking through books and finding something they liked in the library (the iPads and puzzles were pretty popular).  

After the groups had visited all the stations I had a mini story time with them.  It was so much fun reading to these kids, they were such good listeners and they really got into the stories. 

Ally's class had their field trip a couple of weeks later with Mrs. Bazzano's and Mrs. Jones' Kindergarten classes.  Ally was excited it was finally her turn to do all the activities and I had fun watching her and all her friends. 

Eva was in heaven making her bookmark right along with all the big kids. 

I loved showing the kids how fun the library can be and how wonderful books can be.  I already count the field trips successful because quite a few of the parent volunteers signed up for library cards during the field trip.  We sent all the kids home with flyers for the summer reading program and a library card application.  The teachers are hoping to make the library field trip a recurring field trip.  I am more than happy to help next year again (though I might try to delegate a few things!). 

1 comment:

Rich and Brianne said...

You are amazing. What a fun field trip! And seeing Gehlen just makes me happy. Hopefully we can come visit sometime and hear your storytime!