Thursday, March 31, 2016

Lake County Diamonds

We wanted to go Lake County Diamond Hunting during Ally's week off of school in February.  Unfortunately the weather and Steve's days off didn't cooperate so we had to wait until Spring Break.  I'm glad we waited a little longer, the wildflowers were beautiful. 

It was interesting to see the areas than had burned, some are already recovering while others areas the burned scar remains.  

The girls were so very excited for our hike and Ally was particularly excited to look for more Lake County Diamonds. 

Diogenes Lantern
This year Diogenes Lanterns are everywhere, they seem to do really well after a fire.

Indian Paintbrush

On this hike everyone moves a little slower constantly looking at the ground searching for diamonds.  They really are everywhere!

I couldn't get enough of the beautiful wildflowers, spring in California is truly beautiful.

Our little nature girl tried to catch a cricket and it ended up jumping on her.  She loved watching it climb up her shirt.

Byron showed the girls how to break open the rocks to find more diamonds.

I never really thought to look in rocks for the diamonds, I just looked in the dirt.  There were some really big diamonds in the rocks but as you break the rocks the diamonds would crumble into smaller pieces. 

Ally and Papa diamond hunting




Colton was more than happy to stop for lunch, he was happy to get out of the backpack and run around.

Eva and Ally had fun roaming around exploring.  I love that they have the opportunity to get out in nature and discover things on their own. I love watching them have fun hiking, looking for wildflowers and finding diamonds.  

Steve, Jim,Colleen, Colton, Byron, Jill 
Eva and Ally

The group shot with me 

It was such a beautiful day for a hike.  I love getting away from everything, even if it is just for part of a day, and just enjoying nature.




No comments: