Saturday, August 4, 2012

Perkins Family Reunion ~ Bryce Canyon

Every two years all the descendants of Verl and Mazie Perkins (my mom's parents) get together for a reunion.  The Perkins Reunion has been going since I was 4 or 5 and we met at Navajo Lake, UT.  I love going to the reunions and seeing Aunts, Uncles and many cousins that I don't get to see very often.  I think I have only missed one reunion, when the reunion was the same time as Girls Camp.  We missed going to Kolob, UT.

This year we all gathered at Bryce Canyon National Park for a few days of crazy Perkins fun.  You can see some incredible pictures my brother Marshall took here


My Aunt Kathryn and Allyson
Friday most of the group decided to hike the Queens Garden trail in the park.  I didn't really want to chance hiking with a 2 year old (meaning I didn't want to carry her the last half of the hike out of the canyon) so we opted to join my mom and her two sisters touring the lookouts.  

Allyson loved the shuttle bus, it may have been one of her favorite parts of the whole trip (that and the chipmunks).  I thought it was a great way to get around the park and not have to worry about parking and logistics.  Unfortunately many of our fellow visitors were from other countries, countries that don't believe in deodorant.  That was unpleasant on a hot Utah afternoon.


The gorgeous view from Bryce Point


Grandma and Allyson at Bryce Point


Allyson at Inspiration Point

View from Inspiration Point.

Above the Navajo Loop Trail, Sunset Point

Allyson playing with my Aunt Kathryn's walking stick while waiting for the next shuttle.



Friday night the three old men (my dad, my Uncle Glen and my Uncle Vern) put on a funny skit.  My Uncle Glen was "the law man" which was funny since he retired from the Lake County Sheriff's Dept, he is wearing his old hat.

R to L youngest to oldest, missing my Aunt Norma
Colleen (my mom), Evelyn, Glenn, (Norma would be here) Kathryn

That night my mom and her siblings sat around and told stories from their childhood.  This was one of my favorite parts of the reunion, many good stories told.  I can't wait to get a copy of the recording.

This is the 2 hour tootsie pop.  Just prior to the skits and stories Allyson was restless (no naps were taken on this trip at all) and in need of a distraction.  I am not sure who gave her the sucker (my mom? James?) but it was perfect.  It lasted forever.  In fact the next morning she pulled it out of the dresser drawer in the hotel room to finish eating it.  I hadn't seen her hide it the night before, silly girl.  I talked her into having a new sucker later instead of eating it.

My cousin Denise organized a few minute to win it games.  I think Wes won this round, he was really good at bouncing the ping pong ball into the cup.

I on the other hand got chosen for the craziest one.  That is a pedometer on that lovely headband, we had to see who could get the most "steps" in a minute.  I lost miserably, but it was really funny.

Saturday Tiara and Jimmy came with us to the Visitor Center for some fun.  They had a Geological Fair going on with a lot of really fun booths.  Here they are making their own buttons of Bryce Canyon.

Inside the museum
(Don't you love Jimmy's mustache?  We brought him a pack of sick on mustaches and he was a hit everywhere he went.)

Lounging on the bench waiting for the shuttle.

Pioneer Jimmy and Allyson at Ruby's Inn.

I failed to take any pictures of our family auction that is always so much fun (even if I lost out on the Polit Farms olive oil!).  We did however score many toys for Allyson (some I don't recall bidding on Uncle James) and a beautiful wind chime for our porch.

Here is the whole group.  Pretty impressive. What a great family to be a part of.


The Comstock branch of the family, only missing Steve.

It was far too short but it was fun to catch up with so many family members, we can't wait until 2014 for the next reunion.  Lake Tahoe? Maybe!

1 comment:

Mike and Julie said...

What a great tradition!