A few days before we left for the family reunion we got the sad news that Steve's Grandpa Furry had passed away. He had had a lot of health problems over the last year so while we were sad he had passed away we were grateful he was no longer in pain.
I was so happy that I was able to attend his funeral. Allyson and I got in very late the night before, but we made it. (Not without forgetting our dresses that traveled all the way to Utah and back in my parents car!) It was a really nice funeral with many fun stories shared. The slideshow Linda and her friend Heidi made was beautiful, it was a very nice touch. It was also fun to visit with Steve's family and meet extended family.
Steve and his Grandpa share a middle name.
Grandpa was a tough guy and his life was full of many adventures (many I just learned about).
He lied about his age to join the Conservation Corps and lied again about his age (with his mother's help!) to join the Navy at 17. He served in WWII spending time in New Guinea. He worked at Ford Motor Company hanging doors on cars, he got his pilots licence and had the opportunity to be (but declined) a commercial pilot. He was also a logger, many of my favorite stories are from his logging days. For a small guy he was strong, he even got a promotion by winning an arm wrestling contest in logging camp. In his late 70s he was still splitting wood and throwing around huge rounds, outworking everyone.
When Steve and I were first married we actually lived pretty close to Grandpa in Thermalito. Unfortunately we didn't see him very often, I think we only visited him there two or three times. I cherish those visits, he told some good stories while we were there. When he lost his house to a fire he moved in with Bob and Linda and while it wasn't the ideal situation for anyone it made it much easier for us to spend more time with Grandpa.
Nov 2010
He loved to make Allyson smile. She would make him work for his smile but he could always coax one out of her, he liked the challenge.
Dec 2010
Grandpa Furry and Allyson as Mary in the Nativity
I love his Navy picture, he was so young.
Pall Bearers:
Ian Furry, Steve Cherry, Greg Costello (sp?)
Dennis Furry, Steve (Denny's son in law), Bob Cherry
The graveside service was very nice both the ceremony by the Veterans and the blessing by the Decon from St. Thomas.
Furry Siblings (missing Terry)
Lina, Judy and Denny
I no longer wonder why Steve doesn't show his teeth when he smiles, it is genetic!

No comments:
Post a Comment