Wednesday, September 7, 2016

South Hills Hike

I had been wanting to hike in the South Hills (on The Ranch) for almost a year. Life and having kids kept getting in the way.  Late Monday night I started thinking about going and I made it happen.  I got a later start than usual because I dropped Ally off at school first.  Luckily for me it was a cooler morning (though a very smokey morning).

As I hiked I remembered all the other times I had hiked the South Hills and I realized I hadn't hiked to the top for 7 years.  I couldn't believe it had been that long, but having babies changes lots of things.  It made me even happier that I finally took the time to go for a hike.  

The results of the fire are still very evident almost one year later.  The fire burned the very overgrown brush revealing areas of the hills previously hidden.  It also made it hiking a lot easier without all that brush. 

The hills were still very steep, but it was nice to hike familiar trails and enjoy some quite time.  

I love the views from the top, even with the very smoky skies.

The signs of the fire are everywhere as are the signs of regrowth.  I enjoyed my quick hike and I am determined it will not be another 7 years before am back.

No comments: