Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Cherry Reunion: Monterey Bay Aquarium


Monday was the much anticipated aquarium day, Ally had been looking forward to it for weeks.  I was pretty excited to see it myself!

The kids were so excited to see everything, moving from one tank to the next checking out all the sea life.  I was pretty nervous keeping tabs on all our kids but Ally (reluctantly) stayed with us the entire time and no kids were lost.

The kids loved this huge tank of sardines swimming in circles above them.

The jellyfish were a hit!  I had no idea all the different types of jellyfish there are, so many different sizes and shapes.  They are pretty amazing.

The giant tank (1.2 million gallons!) was by far our favorite.  I think the darkness had a calming effect on the kids and we just stood at the tank watching fish, sharks and sea turtles swimming by.

I was impressed with the kids play area on the second floor of the aquarium.  Poor Colton was so tired of being confined to his stroller he was more than happy to run around.  I loved that they had a "baby" play area that was fenced in, he could run around and I didn't have to worry about him escaping (though I did keep him away from the water table, no need to have him soak his clothes!).

The wave crash tunnel was a big hit.  There was great anticipation waiting for each wave and much shrieking and screaming as each wave crashed.  

These kids took over the tunnel for quite a while.  Luckily by that time the crowds had thinned significantly so it didn't matter.

Colton gave in to his exhaustion and took a little nap in his stroller as we finished our day at the aquarium.

Ally loved the 'touch pools' getting a close up look at little sea animals. She spent at least 15 minutes letting a hermit crab crawl around her hand. Even the docent at the touch pool commented that Ally is a budding biologist. 

We had a full and fun day at the aquarium and were all thoroughly exhausted.  After a quick dinner the older cousins headed out to the beach for a marshmallow roast. 

We ended the day with another gorgeous Monterey sunset.

No comments: