Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Exploring the Ranch

Ally had a day off of school for Martin Luther King Day so we took advantage of the break in the rain and headed out to the ranch.  Grandma came hiking with us and Papa joined us in between ranch business. 

We walked along the creek checking out the high water mark and looking for any treasures that might have washed up.  The creek was still running muddy and high.

Ally is always fully equipped on a hike with her backpack, water bottle and binoculars.  I am glad she had her backpack, it carried the snacks for the everyone. 

Eva insisted on having her turn with the binoculars but we couldn't convince her to turn them around.


There is so much green grass everywhere.  I love California winters because there is so much green. 


Even with all the green burned areas are taking longer to regrow than others.  

I love watching the girls play and explore.  Ally found this great branch to "ride" and Eva had to check it out for herself.  

Ally wanted to walk across this vernal pool, she didn't care how deep it was.  She insisted she was fin because she had her boots on.  

The girls had fun with this peek-a-boo tree.

Ally spotted a salamander in the leaves and quickly caught it.

Eva surprised us all by taking a turn and holding the salamander.  She could hardly contain her excitement, and she didn't even get scared when it tried to wiggle out of her hands.


I love my nature loving girls.

We stopped at the shack for snacks, perfectly timed to get out of a big rain shower.

On the way back to the house Eva slipped and fell.  She was upset that her skirt got wet.

Colton and I after our hike, just a little proof we were there! It was a really fun day with some much needed outdoor time.  

No comments: