After our fun weekend with Steve I realized I would have a hard time making it to his 10 am graduation in Ione. The only way to guarantee we would make it was to get a hotel nearby and head over on Thursday. At first I thought I might be able to do it by myself, but thankfully my parents were kind enough to get a hotel room as well. I definitely needed the extra hands!
Thursday morning did not go as planned at all. I woke up at 5 am to our power going out. A tree fell across the road and took down the power lines, unfortunately it also closed the road all morning. I felt really bad that Ally had to miss her swim class. We got on the road later than planned (thankfully the road was cleared and we didn't have to take the long way!) and we hit some really bad traffic in Sacramento but we made it. We had promised these girls they could swim in the pool at the hotel, and it is all Eva could talk about. So even though we (the adults...or maybe just me) were tired we still headed to the pool.
These girls swam their little hearts out. I thought Eva looked particularly adorable eating her dessert.
Steve was able to join us for the night. It was so good to see him, he was exhausted and had to get up early to get back to the academy on time. We got the kids to bed as early as possible and they went to sleep much quicker this time. Mostly because each girl got a bed to themselves! Ally got to say in Grandma and Grandpa's room and Eva loved having a big bed all to herself.
Friday morning was the long awaited graduation. Bob and Linda got there early and saved us all seats.
Right before the ceremony Steve told me that I got to pin his badge on him. I was a little nervous because I had no idea what to do and I didn't think I was participating in the ceremony. Sounds simple enough I know, but it was a little tricky. I have to say Cal Fire was really good about including and acknowledging the families. I appreciated it.
Steve in his fancy dress uniform with his Engineer badge.
We are all so proud Steve, the Company Officer Academy is not an easy one, they make you earn the title of Engineer. He worked so hard and he did really well in the academy. While we were taking pictures one of the Chiefs came up to him to tell Steve how impressed he was on his WUI (wildland urban interface) simulation. Steve had told me he got 100% but the Chief said he had never seen anyone do it as well as Steve had, pretty impressive.
These kids were excited for the Engineer Dad/Uncle.
These girls were so understanding of Steve being gone so much for this academy. Ally understood what he was doing but I was worried Eva would get upset or mad at Steve being gone so long. She was really cute, always asking "Daddy work?" and always getting excited to talk to daddy.
We love our Engineer!
Steve is definitely loved. Brian brought his two oldest boys to the graduation and Bob and Linda were able to squeeze in the graduation just before they left to Idaho to see Kevin and Emma.
I love this picture, after I forced everyone to take many pictures they were more than done.
Cameron, Jackson, Eva and Ally
Cherry cousins, these four loved running around and playing together.
These cousins were playing firefighter on the grounds while we waited for Steve after everything was over. They definitely look up to Steve, and for good reason.




1 comment:
Congratulations!! That's quite an accomplishment!
Post a Comment