Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Cardiology Check up

Monday Allyson had a check up with her cardiologist, Dr. Bose.  The last check up Allyson had a major melt down.  Not wanting a repeat performance (or added stress for Ally) we prepped for this appointment.  
Over the last few months we would talk about Dr. Bose occasionally, what happens when he checks her heart.  Then last week we talked about her appointment on Monday.  Ally thought a lot about it over the weekend, talked a lot about it and played doctor with her toys.  She was very concerned about having to take off her shirt (ironically as she was running around pulling up her shirt).  Thankfully this visit was much less traumatic, Allyson was very brave and didn't get too scared.

She had a few requests, she wanted to take horsey with her, and she didn't want to sit on the paper.  So horsey came along with us and I brought a blanket for the exam table.  While we were in the waiting room Ally was talking to Eva "don't be scared Eva, it is only a check up and mommy and I are right here".  I have a feeling she was talking more for herself than for Eva, but it was sweet.

Once we were called back Allyson got really shy, she was hesitant to get on the scale but finally did get on.  She slowly warmed up to the assistant.  Once Dr. Bose came in he set her at ease and I could see her relaxing.  He was so good with her, mostly talking to her and not me.  They had a long conversation about horsey before he started the exam, by that time she was talking his ear off.  

My favorite part of the visit was at the end, he asked if I had any questions for him.  Then he asked Allyson if she had any questions, of course she did.  She said "sometimes my heart goes bump bump, but other times I can't hear it".  I loved how he took her very seriously and told her that was true, sometimes we hear our heart and other times we don't.  He really made her feel important, and included her in everything.

Allyson was very brave and did great!  Everything looked great with her heart as well, Dr. Bose was more than happy with everything.  Allyson doesn't have any restrictions on what she can do, she can do anything and push herself as much as she wants.  Wonderful news!  Since she is doing so well we don't have to come back for 3 years (just monitoring her heart and the scar tissue as she grows).  I can hardly imagine our next appointment with an almost 7 year old.  

Once again I am so thankful for miracles.  This year I realized I missed her surgery anniversary, it passed without me noticing.  I was thinking about it at the beginning of June but spaced out on the actual day.  I take that as a good sign, we don't have to give her heart a second thought.  Because of her surgery (which I dreaded, worried and wished away) she is a strong healthy girl.  Dr. Bose said he felt the timing of the surgery, her recovery and growth were all timed perfectly.  I agree wholeheartedly.

1 comment:

Frankie, Michaela, Goy and Marion said...

Our God is an awesome God!!! Love you all! Miss you! Give that girl a hug from Marion and Goy