Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fall Camping

Once again we headed to the mountains for some beautiful fall camping.  Luck was on our side, Steve was able to get off work and the weather was beautiful.  Much warmer than last year!  I love that fall camping in the Sierras has become a tradition for us.  The campgrounds are mostly empty, the fall colors are gorgeous and much fun is had by all.  Here are our past fall camping trips 2011, 2010, 2008.
We camped next to our campsite from last year, Ally found the same stump to play on.  She was in heaven being outside all day running, playing and getting filthy dirty.

Monday morning we took a walk through my very favorite meadow while we waited for my parents to arrive.  Ally "hiked" the whole way, slowing down considerably on the way home.  I didn't think it was possible to wear this girl out but we almost did it.  She caught her second wind as soon as we got back to the campsite.

Checking out the wildlife.  Whenever we use the binoculars she wants a turn, though she prefers to look through them backwards so everything is far away. 

Tuesday we headed up to Hope Valley for some fun geocaching.  Allyson loved "treasure hunting" and acquired all sorts of new "toys".

Our geocaching lead us to some spectacular fall colors.  The aspen were gorgeous dotting the hillsides with yellows and oranges.  What could've been a good family picture, we just need a smile from Steve and Ally to look at the camera!

My parents in the aspen grove.

My favorite stop of the day was near Carson Pass.  We explored a little along the California Trail, the portion called "devil's ladder".  This was the final ascent before going down the west side of the Sierras to the Sacramento Valley.  It is beautiful but rough, I can't believe they took wagons through here.  


The rocks above are signed by some emigrants from 1848 and 1849 (painted over later to preserve them I am sure).  Most (or maybe all) signatures were from members of the International Order of Odd Fellows.  

I've said it many times but I love the history of this area, so very interesting.  While we were camping I was reading this book about the Pony Express (great book by the way!) and we drove past parts of the Pony Express Trail.  I was excited to learn one of the riders I read about was actually my Great Great Grandfather. "Wash" Perkins (short for George Washington Perkins) was one of the riders on the first run of the Pony express, he rode east from the Nevada Ruby Mountains.  

I am in awe of the bravery and strength of the pioneers who came west, and I am proud that I am a descendant of Utah and Californian pioneers.


We found another cache at this neat old corral near another beautiful aspen grove.

Papa, Grandma and Ally.

Ally stayed up way too late most nights and had a blast with these glow in the dark bracelets, especially when I would hide it and she would look for it.

Wendesday we headed up to Monitor Pass for more geocaching (yes I am a geocaching nerd, Steve makes fun of me).  We found one in an aspen grove that was full of "arborglyphs" so Steve left one of his own.

Here is my Dad's fancy new truck, no 4 wheeling on the trip.  

Ally finding the cache on Leviathan Loop Road.

More treasure hunting fun!

Allyson loved climbing this hill behind my parents campsite, gathering pine cones and chasing the beach ball.

Thursday Steve and I headed home to go back to work, Ally got to stay one more day with Papa and Grandma.  Just before we left they broke out this green hammock I remember using when I was younger.  She loved the hammock and it even got her to stay in one place for a while!

Fun was had, good food eaten equaling a successful camping trip.  We can't wait for next fall!

2 comments:

James said...

So many photos that look exactly the same as that one of her in the green hammock. Maybe even in those same trees...
Very cool.

Mike and Julie said...

She's a girl after my own heart...and she's adorable!!