Monday, April 16, 2012

All Done Crying

Allyson has started to throw tantrums, and we don't like tantrums around here.
To deal with this new development I tried implementing a new tactic.  The first time I tried it we were in the truck, we just left the store and Allyson was very upset from having gotten in trouble for not holding hands in the parking lot.  Since we were both stuck in the truck and her tantrum showed no signs of stopping I told her "Tell me when you are done crying" and then ignored her.
She stopped crying pretty quickly and after a few minutes of silence I heard her little voice say "all done crying".  It was so cute! And it was the end of the crying, no more drama

Taken after church, no she wouldn't look at the camera!

At home when she starts throwing a tantrum I tell her to go to her room to cry and she can come out when she is done crying.  I love this!
Sunday morning Allyson really wanted to eat some of her Easter candy.  I told her that if she ate all her cereal she could have some Easter candy. She did not finish her cereal.  In fact, she hardly ate any of it.  When I told her she could not have any candy since she didn't finish her breakfast a tantrum ensued.
 I told her to go to her room if she was going to cry.  She scampered off to her room, crying as she went.  (Actually she tried to stop in the hall but i made her go into her room)  I heard her asking for her Froggy Blanket so I told her she could come out and get her blanket.  She grabbed it and ran right back into her room, for more crying, with a few "I miss mommy" cries thrown in for good measure.
A few minutes later I hear her saying "need tissue, need tissue".  I told her she could come and get one, she came out (not crying) got her tissue and ran back into her room and proceeded to cry some more.  
Hilarious.  
This girl cracks me up.


After a few more minutes of crying she came out of her room (with sad red eyes) and told me she was all done crying, and that was the end.  Lets hope this method continues to work.  

4 comments:

SuSu said...

Love the drama! Love the girl!!

Tonya said...

That is awesome. She seems like such a sweet girl. I've tried this with Laci, but she hears Mia cry all the time and thinks she needs to whine/cry too. Maybe I'll have to give this a go again.
PS: She looks so pretty in her Easter dress!

Lowe Family said...

That is exactaly what we do to and i LOVE it!! That way i dont have to hear the crying and they cool down in their room :) parenting is OH SO fun!! :)

Jeff and DeeAnna said...

I should try that on Rachel!