My mom and I tried to make plans for the 3 day weekend many times. We tossed around ideas of a cabin in the snow (back when we thought there might be some snow) maybe a lodge in the redwoods but none of those ideas came to fruition. Instead we planned two fun day trips.
The first day trip was Saturday, to Fort Ross State Park. The weather forecast was sketchy, it was supposed to be cold with a chance of rain. Thankfully it was a beautiful day, breezy but not too cold.
Marshall, Allyson and Beth on a bluff looking over the ocean.
There were lots of pretty flowers all around and Allyson enjoyed picking some of the wildflowers.
A glimpse of the Fort through the trees.
Fort Ross is a remnant of the Russian settlers in Norther California. It was the southernmost Russian settlement and helped provide food for the Russian settlements in Alaska
Did I mention what a beautiful day it was?
Growing up many of our family outings involved learning the history of different places. I love learning the stories and historical significance of places. I knew some of the history of Fort Ross but I enjoyed picking up extra tidbits during our time there.
The Chapel inside the Fort. They still have Russian Orthodox services here once a month.
One of the many religious shrines throughout the buildings. The buildings were so beautiful and solidly built. They were made out of ridiculously large, and very beuatiful timbers.
Allyson enjoyed the freedom of running around the grassy interior of the Fort and playing on the canons.
She especially liked the canons because Dora has canons that shoot out confetti.
We enjoyed a fun day learning more about California's history and enjoying the many beauties of California.
2 comments:
Sounds like great fun.
Looks like someplace we'll have to check out sometime!
Post a Comment