Thursday, July 19, 2012

Steve

The last couple weeks have been pretty low key for Allyson and I.  Steve has been hard at work on a bunch of different fires, and has been gone for more than two weeks.  This Fire Season is much busier than the last couple, it is starting to look like 2008 when he was gone for over a month (I think it was 40 days but I have to ask him).  Thankfully it hasn't been that long, yet.

While he is gone we have been spending a lot of extra time with my parents it is fun for Ally and it keeps me from getting too lonely.  It doesn't hurt we get to go swimming as often as we like.  Allyson is turning into such a little fish.  She loves to swim, once I get her up to the pool.  She starts out super excited to go swimming, but when it is actually time for us to change and head up to the pool she starts finding excuses or says she will stay in the house while we swim(not sure why).  The first couple of times she was afraid of taking her band aids off (which at this point were there solely for psychological benefit) but once I got her in the water she LOVED it and didn't want to get out.  We are loving our time at Grandma and Papa's house.

The last two weeks Steve has been on the Dale Fire in Redding, the Sites Complex in Colusa County (in the area of his old station, Leesville), and the Robbers Fire near Colfax in Placer County.  This is the part of firefighting that he loves, and he has certainly seen a lot of action in the last two weeks.

We don't get many pictures of Steve when he is working, luckily one of the other firefighters on his crew took these and sent them to Steve.  Steve then made the mistake of giving them to me, I love being able to see a little of what he is doing while he is away from us.

This is Steve as his crew is working picking up the miles and miles of hose that were laid while fighting the Robbers Fire.  I think he is carrying 3 lengths of hose here.  Those things weight a lot, I tired to carry 1 length of hose once. It wasn't pretty.

As you can see he was thrilled that his friend was taking his picture! 
We love our hard working fire fighter.

3 comments:

Mike and Julie said...

We're thankful for men who are willing to protect us too!

SuSu said...

They love that hard work and we love that they love it so!

Jeff and DeeAnna said...

Wow that last picture of Steve is great! He may not think so but it is. I really appreciate all the work firefighters do to save our forests and homes.