Allyson and I took a quick trip over the weekend to Albuquerque, NM. I went back and forth many times before committing to this trip. Steve's cousin Janna was getting married and so lots of Steve's family was getting together. Being that it is still fire season Steve would not be able to make the trip but Ally and I could go. There are two factors that ultimately helped me make the decision to go. 1) Steve's family from New Mexico hadn't met Allyson yet 2) Allyson is only eligible to fly free for two more months. So being the cheapskate that I am I decided it would be worth it to make the quick trip. Guess what? I was right, it was worth it.
Cousin time - Cameron and Allyson watching Cars
I was a little nervous about flying just the two of us, but Allyson did great. It also helped that my backpack was full of many different toys, snacks and Dora DVDs. The flight to New Mexico was totally full so I wasn't feeling up to attempting taking a picture, or asking our seatmates to take one either. Once we landed in Albuquerque Grandma and Grandpa Cherry met us at our gate. Their flight arrived about 30min before ours. It was so nice to have them there to help, Ally was ready to stretch her legs and I appreciated the extra hands.
Friday evening was spent catching up with everyone and watching Cameron and Allyson playing in the back yard. Allyson was in heaven when Uncle Jeff brought out all the soccer balls!
Saturday was the big day. Janna and Marcos were married in the Albuquerque Temple. It is always such a treat to be in the temple with family. While we waited for the bride and groom outside the temple we took lots of pictures and the kids explored the grounds. I was so glad to have help with Allyson, she loved running around and was sometimes hard to catch. Here she is trying to convince Grandpa Cherry to let her go inside the temple. Rachel had to grab her as she was walking through the doors by herself (those automatic doors aren't good for toddlers)
Rachel taking Ally and Cam for a walk around the temple
Have I mentioned how much I appreciated Rachel? They both loved playing together.
Love this picture of the cousins. We missed having Katelyn there (we missed her parents too).
Kisses for Grandma
The happy couple - Janna and Marcos
Uncle Greg loved seeing the kids. He hadn't seen Allyson for well over a year.
Allyson was giving Uncle Jeff lessons on being a Grandpa, it will become official in October.
Rachel and Ally one one of their many trips up and down the stairs.
Proud Grandparents
I had a so much fun catching up with Alia. Here we have 3 out of the 4 Cherry grandchildren. Alia is 8+ months pregnant, Baby Boy Cherry is due the beginning of October. We can't wait.
Near the end of the reception Ally and Cam kept entertained by reading a book together. It was so cute they were both laying on their stomachs reading but by the time I got my camera they had moved.
Sunday we went to church way too early. 8am church is just crazy. After we had fun watching home videos of the Cherry Reunions from the '90s. Those were so funny, I loved them. Allyson and Cameron were content to play together.
Allyson has had a bit of a problem with separation anxiety ever since fire season started for Steve. She gets very nervous if she can't see me. I guess she doesn't want both her parents to disappear for days at a time. This was definitely magnified on the trip. She was great about being comfortable around everyone as long as I was nearby. There were a few moments where she would break down and need some mommy time.
Sunday afternoon we headed back home. Grandma and Grandpa Cherry flew out just before us so they helped us get all checked in. Grandma even took Ally for a fun ride on her carry on.
The flight home was pretty empty and we scored a row all to ourselves. Allyson loved having the extra room to play around in. She even sat in her own seat while watching Dora.
One of the flight attendants "Miss Julie" loved Allyson. As we were boarding she was talking excitedly to Allyson in spanish. Ally ran up to her and let her pick her up. Then Miss Julie asked Ally "are you going to fly with us today?" Allyson answered with an enthusiastic "yeah!" much to the delight of every one already on board. She also checked in with us periodically throughout the flight.
Traveling with a toddler is not easy (I don't know how you do it Alia) but Allyson was really good. Even though I only managed to read one article the entire flight I still count that as a success.
We already miss every one and can't wait for the next excuse to visit family.















2 comments:
dont you want to hire rachel full time? so glad you two could make it.
Rachel loved the kids! It was so fun to see everyone, but next time it needs to be someone other then my own kid getting married because I really didn't get to visit much
:( No one here took any pictures of the wedding stuff, just Tasha. Do you think you could email me a few? Maybe the ones of Rach&Jeff with the kids and the one of Janna and Marcos. Any others you feel like sneding. Thanks for deciding yes!
Post a Comment