Last week my family all headed up to the Sierra for a weekend of camping (minus Steve the firefighter must work). We camped in beautiful Hope Valley (south of Tahoe in Alpine County) right on the West Fork of the Carson River. It was beautiful, and we had a lot of fun.
I was a bit anxious to take Allyson camping, the last time we took her camping she wasn't mobile and I had a lot less to worry about. I shouldn't have worried, this girl loves being outside and was in heaven (that and having her cousins, Aunts, Uncles and Grandparents play with her).
Our campsite was right next to a waterfall that was really loud due to the heavier than normal snow melt. It worked well as white noise when it came time to put Allyson to bed (only at night...naps just didn't happen).
I noticed these signs on trees in our campsite, we were camping right on the California Trail! Besides the Sierras being beautiful I love all the history of the area so I thought it was pretty neat.
You know the demographics of the Comstock Family have changed when nail painting parties just happen. I for one am glad for more girls in the family.
We celebrated Tiara's 11th birthday (it was the week before) with a party.
Allyson's seat of choice, the trailer steps. She mastered the steps early on in our camping trip and loved climbing up to her seat.
There was so much delicious food, James is the Dutch Oven King. We had many dutch oven meals and desserts. He even made us pizza in the Dutch Oven, it was so good.
As predicted Allyson loved playing in the dirt, thankfully granite sand isn't too dirty.
Friday we headed out to do some geocaching. Our first one was in Diamond Valley right on the Nevada border. It was such a beautiful spot looking West to the Sierra.
Allyson standing next to the Historical Marker marking Snowshoe Thompson's home.
We couldn't find our second geocache but we did get to explore some giant granite boulders.
Grandpa and Allyson
Our third geocache for the day was in a beautiful alpine meadow that unfortunately was infested with a large population of mosquitoes. We didn't stick around too long since we all forgot bug spray.
Marshall led us further up the road from our last geocache where we discovered Lower Blue Lake. It was beautiful and the water was just perfect for dipping feet into.
I am so glad we found this place it is on our list to re-visit with Steve sometime soon.
Saturday we ventured over to Grover Hot Springs State Park for some fun. This was our original choice for camping but they were totally full when we tried to reserve a spot. Who says our State Parks aren't making money? It was warm that day so we all played in the creek.
Allyson particularly loved throwing rocks into the creek. She would pick the biggest rocks she could reach (and pick up) to throw.
Jimmy trying out a natural water slide.
I am such a good mother that I left her swimsuit back in the truck. I am just glad she kept her hat on, I ended up being the one who got a little sun burned.
One happy girl.
This is the meadow in Grover Hot Springs, one of my very favorite places ever.
Look, we found another geocache! We didn't even use our GPS, we have found this one one a few previous visits so we knew right where to look.
In the afternoons the thunderclouds built up almost every day. We were lucky that it never rained on our campsite, but I did get caught in a few thunderstorms while driving. I love the summer thunderstorms in the Sierra, they are wild, loud, short and the smell of rain is wonderful.
Saturday night we had some musical entertainment, Marshall tried to teach Allyson how to play the guitar. I think she needs a few more lessons.
Dancing in her favorite spot.
James trying to get Allyson to dance to the music.
Marshall and Wes singing.
View of Red Lake and Hawkins Peak looking East from Carson Pass.
It was a fun filled weekend and Allyson and I came home exhausted. Her because she got up early, went to bed late and skipped naps. Me because camping with a toddler rules out naps and reading time. I love the mountains, there is something about their rugged beauty that fills me with peace and wonder. I can't wait to go back.



























4 comments:
Wow, what an awesome trip! It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. Allyson is adorable and looks like she had the time of her life!
Looks beautiful! Definitely would love to go there sometime. Glad you had a great time camping--looks like and awesome time.
Looks like a lot of fun was had by all. Can't wait for the Perkins reunion next year!
What a beautiful place to camp! Looks like so much fun!!
Post a Comment