I was going to post this last Tuesday but it seems the weeks of stress finally got to me and I was out of commission for a few days. But now I'm back and here is a story about a very strong little girl.
Our Allyson was born with a congenital heart defect known as Ventricular Septal Defect (translation: she had a hole in her heart), they identified it while she was in the NICU right after she was born. We have been going to a pediatric cardiologist who has been monitoring Allyson and after many months of waiting for it to heal on its own the decision was made to patch the hole surgically.
Allyson went in for surgery (at Oakland Children's Hospital) Thursday June 24th. It was a scary time but everything went well, amazingly well actually. They were able to fix her heart without any complications and she is recovering better than her doctors imagined, and we were able to come home on Monday June 28th. We are so thankful for all the prayers and support from everyone, believe me I couldn't have done it without them.
Allyson went in for surgery (at Oakland Children's Hospital) Thursday June 24th. It was a scary time but everything went well, amazingly well actually. They were able to fix her heart without any complications and she is recovering better than her doctors imagined, and we were able to come home on Monday June 28th. We are so thankful for all the prayers and support from everyone, believe me I couldn't have done it without them.
Waiting for surgery in her hospital gown. She was so patient, and didn't fuss even when the surgery was postponed for an hour.
Friday morning, I spent the majority of the day holding her. We were surprised to see her take a pacifier, but alas it was short lived lasting only until she was able to eat again.
One thing Allyson liked about the hospital was being the center of attention, she charmed all the nurses with her smile and wave.We are so very glad to be home, and Allyson is doing so well, if I had been feeling better I would have some pictures as proof. So those will just have to wait until next time.


13 comments:
WOW! She looks great! What a little fighter. Hope her recovery is quick.
She is one strong little girl. She looks so cute in the hospital. I am so GLAD everything went perfectly and she is recovering so fast. I am sorry you got sick...let me know if we can help with anything.
What a strong little girl, and strong parents. I am so glad everything went so well and she is just getting cuter and cuter! You dont think they can get any cuter and they just do! :)
Erin and Steve, I am so glad to know Allyson is home safe and healing. I can't imagine what you guys went through, but from a grandmothers point of view, I can know exactly what your mom was feeling. Of course my heart was with you all, but it was also with grandparents.
I guess it sounds a little odd, but Allysons surgery was just a little too close to home for me, so it was a huge relief when she got home with you guys and can recover with Grandma Colleen watching over her. Good luck to you and I am so happy for you and Allyson. She surely is amazing.
She certainly is our little miracle. We love her so much, and we're so relieved this is behind us, and so thankful it went so well.
On another note, I just have to say how much I loved the leg warmers you made for her Erin. What a great idea! They were perfect for being in the hospital, and how nice that they just happened to match the hospital blankets. Right in fashion!
She's a lucky little girl to have such strong loving parents.
Hi Erin, You might not remember me, but I met you at your wedding reception. I grew up with the Cherry boys and have found your blog from...somewhere...well, I can't really remember. Anyway, I just wanted to say "Hi" and tell you that I think you have a beautiful little girl and I can't imagine having to go through what you've been through. I'm glad to hear she is doing well and the surgery was successful. I hope you don't think it is too weird that a near stranger read your blog, please visit me if you haven't already. Best wishes and happy thoughts to you, Steve, and Allyson. ~Tonya Silva-Edwards
I am glad everything went well my family was sure thinking about you guys all last week.
That is GREAT news! Glad all is well!
She looks great! I'm glad that she is doing so well and was able to come home so quick. Hope you start feeling better soon so you can enjoy your time with her more!
Erin, what a trooper you guys made! She is amazing. It has been such a relief to me to have this all over and successful, so I can only imagine how you feel. We love you!
We're so glad she's doing so well. Mom kept us updated while you were all down in Oakland. Our prayers were and continue to be with you that she keeps healing better than the doctors predict. Great job Erin & Steve, you've got a keeper. Love to you all.
What a lucky couple you are. Ally is such a happy girl and I'm glad she is doing so well.
I am so glad that everything went well with the surgery. CHD is something we struggle with in James family with his little niece Abby. She had her surgery last month as well to repair her heart. It's so good to hear little Ally is recovering so quickly and doing so good. I know we're way over here in Utah but please let us know if you need anything. :) Love ya!!!
Post a Comment